Saturday, June 7, 2008

Introduction

Introduction
This trip combines 2 of my favorite racing sports – Bicycle racing and Formula One auto racing.

I’m a fan of Formula One http://www.formula1.com/ and I’ll be at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, June 6 – 8, 2008. I’ve traded my Honda S2000 for a teammate’s Ford minivan for 2 weeks, and I’ll be driving it in a big circular route loaded with a couple of bikes and all the customary supporting equipment. I intent to race at (or at least ride on) 7 different velodromes along the way, plus spending the F1 weekend in Montreal.

Scott Patton’s “FixedGearFever” website proved to be a great resource for world-wide velodrome information -
http://www.fixedgearfever.com/modules.php?name=Velodromes&op=map

From Scott’s site, here’s a snapshot of the world map with push-pin locations of all known velodromes. Note the high concentration in Great Britain -

Here’s an enlargement of the area I intent to cover –

Initially, I had targeted 8 velodromes that seemed to be within striking range:

1. Valley Preferred Cycling Center (formerly Lehigh Valley Velodrome) in Trexlertown, PA
2. Kissena Velodrome in Queens, NY
3. New England Velodrome in Londonderry, NH
4. Velodrome at Bloomer Park (aka Mike Walden Velodrome) in Rochester Hills, MI
5. Forest City Velodrome in London, ON, Canada
6. Wind del Velodrome in Windham Centre, ON, Canada
7. Centre National du Cyclisme in Bromont, QC, Canada
8. Caisse Populaire Velodrome in Dieppe, NB, Canada (New Brunswick)

However, a more thorough analysis showed that the total driving time to include New Brunswick would just not be practical and it was eliminated. Maybe next time…

Sunday afternoon, Kelly Benefit Strategies / LSV http://www.lateralstressvelo.com/ teammate Matt stopped by to watch final day TV coverage of the Giro, then we swapped cars for 2 weeks. Thanks to Matt for being a sport and letting me use his van.

No comments: