Saturday, June 7, 2008

Day 3: Thursday June 5, 2008

Day 3: Thursday June 5
Weather was a chilly 48 degrees at 7AM but the rain had stopped sometime overnight. No wind, still heavy overcast, but the roads were dry or drying. I drove back to the drome, intending a light workout for an hour. The Stonyfield Yogurt dairy is between the hotel and the drome, they offer tours around the dairy. Might be interesting some other time.

The track was mostly dry. It looked to be 300 meters or so, asphalt paved like a nice roadway that’s a few years old. The banking is gentle so there’s no outside rail. Bicycle access to the track surface is easy from the pavement surrounding the track, and infield access is similar. This place looked to be casual and low-key, I would like to have raced or ridden with the locals, but there was no one around except for the family of woodchucks living nearby, and a wild turkey passing through the woods.

Back to hotel for shower and breakfast, then on the road. This was a transition day – from bicycle to Formula 1 cars. During the 265 mile drive, I realized I’d been out of touch with F1. Did Kimi get penalized for rear-ending Adrian Sutil at Monaco and ending Sutil’s race due to damage to the Force India car’s rear suspension?

I arrived at Montreal during afternoon rush hour, battled traffic to get to hotel but the van is now parked underground and I don't intend to move it until I depart on Monday. Room is on 19th floor, with some nice views of downtown. I should have brushed up on my French, but the locals I tried to speak with were all willing to work with my English. Most shops will not take US dollars.

A big thanks to Sharon for her support, especially her help with blog updates. She rocks…

Total driving for the day: 265 miles

(images: Steve's Olmo at NE Velodrome, Montreal Late Afternoon)

No comments: